Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I'm going to recommend what some may indeed consider a very strange type of book: "Shamanic Journeying" by Sandra Ingerman. I recommend this book for a couple of reasons; one because it is short, and interesting, even if you don't care to try shamanic journeying (I myself haven't yet, but I probably will eventually. Why not, yeah?); the second reason being that there are several references to myth, and how the experience of shamanic journeying is a very mythological one indeed. I thought to myself, whilst reading this book, what better way to get really involved in a mythology, than to have this type of mythical experience, while potentially meeting characters of myth, folk lore, and actual history (not to mention spirit animals, woohoo!) Essentially the book is a beginner's guide to taking shamanic journeys for one's self, (in fact the full title is "Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide"). It has some funny anecdotal stories, mixed in with some information about how, when, and why to "journey". It's only 84 small pages long, with some rather large font, so it's not any huge investment in time, but certainly one must invest their mind in the reading to truly garner the full experience of what the text is offering. It's doubtful that anybody will end up reading it, but if nothing else, I would at least recommend Googling it, or how to journey, just for mythology's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment